Ignition Controller System
The IntelliSpark 32/16/8 series ignition systems are capacitive discharge, low-tension type designs. The system is capable of generating precise spark timing that improves fuel economy, load balance and ignition stability.
- Crankshaft-referenced 16-bit microprocessor based system
- Patented Smart Coil™ technology
- Automatic energy control
- Five timing reference options including camless operation
- Two field-adjustable timing schedules
- Optimized engine combustion and performance
- True primary and secondary diagnostics
FW Murphy Production Controls offers support for all our products. If you are unable to find the product that you need, please call us at 918-957-1000.
The IntelliSpark controller design incorporates a state-of-the-art 16-bit microcontroller. This technology provides users with a highly flexible solution to meet their ignition needs.
The user can choose from one of five methods of crankshaft sensing for a 4-stroke engine and two methods for a 2-stroke engine.
FW Murphy’s smart ignition coils used with this product incorporate a sense lead connection for real-time spark plug demand voltage measurements by the ignition controller. This allows the controller to:
- Measure demand on each cylinder’s plug for diagnostic purposes;
- Automatically control the energy delivered to the smart coils to optimize spark plug life;
- Use the measured demand in the unique camless crank method to determine the compression stroke, eliminating the need for a camshaft sensor.
Several Smart Coil designs are available to accommodate specific ignition requirements including remote mount coils and plug-mounted (integral) coils, non-hazardous or CSA Class I, Div. 2 rated versions.
This system also includes the PV450 full-color screen display for control functions, monitoring, programming and diagnostic testing. The eight-button display includes comprehensive built-in help files and wiring information for the coil harness and a database of common engines for ease of configuration.
- Power Requirements:
- IS-16/8: 10-30 VDC (12/24 VDC nominal) 3.0 amps max
- IS-32: 10-30 VDC, 6.0 amps max
- Note: The input current is dependent on firing rate
- Temperature Operating Range: -4° to +158° F (–20° to +70° C)
- Enclosure Rating: IP66 with display mounted in the enclosure box; Type 4 without display mounted in the enclosure box
- Third-Party Approvals:
- CSA Certified for Class I, Div 2, Groups B, C, D
- IS-8: Fires 8 outputs
- IS-16: Fires 16 outputs
- IS-32: Fires 32 outputs, 2 outputs can fire simultaneously
- Energy Storage:
- IS-32/16/8: 180 mJ max, per tank capacitor
- IS-32/16/8: An auxiliary comm port is available, RS-485 interface, MODBUS protocol
- Note: This port has a user-programmable servant ID, runs at 9600 baud or 19.2K. All parameters available can be modified in parallel using the main front panel display.
- Output Electrical Specifications:
- IS-8: Single tank capacitor
- IS-16: Dual, alternately fired tank capacitors
- IS-32: Quad, alternately fired pairs of tank capacitors
Ignition Outputs are High-side firing referenced to the T pin on the output harness
- Note: These outputs are not ground referenced unless the T lead is grounded. Recommend careful adherence to installation instructions.
- Maximum Output Current Pulse Rating: 40 amps
- Note: Current pulse amplitude is dependent on the coils in use and the tank capacitor voltage.
- IT-230 Series coils: 7 amp pulse @ 230 volts
- IT-150 Series coils: 35 amps @ 150 volts
- IT-250 series coils: 20 amps @ 250 volts
- 4/20 mA Inputs:
- 4/20mA A: This input retards timing (if programmed) when schedule A is active.
- 4/20mA B: This input retards the timing (if programmed) when schedule B is active.
For more information about this product, you can download the related literature here:
Note: Software, manuals and files for this product are only available on the Emissions Controls products extranet. (Assigned username and password required.)